Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Israel Land of Shalom. Impressions written by "D"

Preface

Despite the "Friendship prior Peace" website is closed since a few months, I'm very pleased for the opportunity to publish a very special trip report of "D" (the name is kept "D" for confidentiality reasons). I was very surprised by D's tour to Israel. I couldn't manage to meet D face to face due to the very short notification, but I managed to call D and we have a phone conversation before leaving Israel.

I could hear in D's voice during our conversation his satisfaction of visiting Israel, even it was very short. I asked D to write his impressions from his visit and I'll be more than happy to publish it on "Friendship prior Peace" even the web blog is no longer active. I want to thank deeply from my heart for his dedication and time to compose his impressions for the benefit of anyone who reads this blog.

Hanan Leshnovolsky
_______________________________________________________

Israel Land of Shalom

Written by: "D"

In the last year I had been thinking about visiting my Malaysian uncle's homeland. I was blessed with the opportunity to go in July. I had made quite a few entries on Friendship Prior Peace Blogspot and i wanted to experience the Holy Land for myself. I just return from Israel after a week.

It is my hope to share my trip and experiences of going to Israel, Good and Bad.

Three hours before boarding El Al the security check-in staff arrived with four music stands. They proceeded to screen the people in the line. My screeners put me through a long winded interrogation. At one point I was introduced to the El Al Chief Security officer, another El AL Senior Officer along with an EL AL Junior Officer. All my luggage was screened for explosives and i got a full screening for bomb residue. I felt uncomfortable and understand how Muslims feel when they think they are being singled out at Airports. Finally, I was allowed to board the plane.

The attendants on El Al flight were cordial. I was still a little unbalanced. Upon arriving in Tel Aviv I felt much better. Tel Aviv is a very dense city with an interesting milieu of Jewish cultures. People were very friendly in helping me navigate to my Hostel. One Israeli had his GPS on his IPhone directing me as we approached my bus stop. Tel Aviv is hot and humid but to my surprise no mosquitoes.

Tel Aviv never sleeps and has an active 'disco-disco' nightlife. Walking the beach my first night. There were lots of people swimming around. Several food kiosks and promenade with local bands playing music. Lots of interesting music.The Mediterranean ocean is actually warm. Not your Pacific ocean type coldness.

The most interesting sight was Religious Hebrews dancing on the sidewalk and on a busy street with very interesting tunes and handing out brochures to locals.

Tel Aviv Gordon St Shabbat


Religious Hebrews Dancing


Tel Aviv Beach

Jerusalem the cradle of the Abrahamic religions Christianity, Islam and Judaism is like a city within cities. Jewish, Islamic and Christian sections within the City squeezed together like sardines. The Jewish quarter has the newest buildings which were rebuilt after the Jordanians demolished most of the site in the 1967 war. Interestingly, there is a tiny Mosque in the middle that was untouched and preserved by the Israeli's. There was a Jewish family that had converted to Islam and donated their small house which the Mosque was built on. That is why there is a tiny minaret next to a huge Synagogue in the picture. Of course the Wailing Wall is the most prominent site for the Jewish Religion. People come to pray and write their wishes on paper which is inserted into the wall. In Jerusalem we passed by multiple Holy Sites including the Dome of the Rock, Al Aqsa, Holy Church of Sepulchre, Church of Gethsemane and others. Jerusalem itself is a smorgasbord for archeologists. Even outside the Old City I saw archeological remnants everywhere. An unknown tomb of a wealthy jewish remnant recently discovered by Hebrew University, ancient jewish tombstones hundreds of them on the slopes. You could probably excavate everywhere around Jerusalem and find something there.

Garden of Gesthemene


Garden of Gesthemene


Jerusalem Overview


Jewish Tomb

Al Aqsa


Mosque and Synagogue


Wailing Wall


Wailing Wall Tunnel

Touring Bethlehem and Jericho I got to experience the security wall. Let me describe it as best I can. Firstly, it is not possible to make a value judgement from the brief period crossing the wall. However, i can tell you what i saw and what people I’ve talked to say about it. In order to cross into East Jerusalem you must pass through the wall from Israeli to Palestinian control areas. The wall is intimidating to say the least. Tall with sensors,cameras and barbwire. You cross by yourself through a narrow corridor and pass through a checkpoint where an IDF soldier in a booth checks your identity (Passport). He waved us through. I saw Arabs/Palestinians pass-through using finger print hand scanners. The soldier was respectful and did not question us or stop any persons. Passage was quick without any issues. There weren't any crowds on both-sides as expected because it was on a Shabat (Saturday). We met our Palestinian guide Sam on the other-side. Sam described the wall and hardship it had caused to the Palestinians. Travel has become a difficult daily occurrence. You must have permission and biometrics (hand) coded. There is apparently a curfew period of when you can cross and return, as well as, restricted passage once you cross into the Israeli side i.e. proof of work and path you are allowed to take to work. I wondered if the security wall was necessary ? Speaking with Rachel the night clerk at the Hostel later. I realized the motivation behind the wall. Before the building of the wall. The last Intifada resulted in many deaths as a result of a slew of suicide attacks. The daily occurrence sometimes twice a day lead to the building of the wall. Israeli parents stopped sending their children to school and there was a paranoia about taking public transportation or being in public places. My feeling is the wall should be taken down as soon as possible when both sides come to a mutual agreement.

Message bodyMary’s' Grotto, Sheppard’s Field and the Church of the Nativity were the highlights in Bethlehem. As a Christian city, Bethlehem's Christian population is dwindling. It will be a sad day if the community ceases to make a presence in the place of Jesus's birth. We had to go through two road checkpoints between Israeli and Palestinian control areas. Again, IDF soldiers were respectful and cordial. They chatted with our bus driver in a cordial tone. There were no concerns as tour guests on the bus. They waved us through quickly. Israeli IDF conscripts are a mix of youthful and senior ranks. It seems to me the media, at least in the West likes to show clips of aggressive IDF soldiers but it is not what i observed. Jericho is believed to be the oldest city in the world. It is 244m below sea (lowest point) level and therefore a natural spring as the water table sits beneath the city. It is amazing as you see a water fountain springing out in the middle of the Judean Desert at 42C. We passed through a Palestinian checkpoint. They were cordial and waved us through. We had lunch at mall and got to view archeological remnants.

Border crossing


Border crossing

Marys Grotto

Sheppards Field Display

Jericho Spring


I enjoyed the Dead Sea and Masada tour the most. For several reasons. I travelled to Israel with knee problems. I have an old work injury on my right knee acts up once in a while. My muscles lock up and prevent me from bending. So I use a cane or brace when it acts up. Also, my feet were irritated from walking on the beach in Tel Aviv and my scratching didn't help. The Dead Sea apparently helps blood circulation and is good for your skin especially with skin disorders like psoriasis. I was reminded of the biblical narrative of Namaan and the Jordan River. At the beach you apply mud on your skin for treatment and immerse yourself in the dead sea which is full of salts and minerals. It disinfects your body and permeates through your body. After two hours of soaking and rinsing. I felt relaxed and my the muscles in my knee loosened up. The skin irritation went away. It really helped my blood circulation. At least, for me i had full movement in my knee.

Masada is a symbol of Jewish 'Chutzpah' (Audacity). It was the last stronghold that the Romans (10th Legion) sieged. The siege lasted 3 years whereby the Romans built a seige ramp using Jewish slaves at Masada. Zealots held out in defiance until it became apparent that Masada would be bridged. Preferring death before slavery. 10 men were chosen to complete the task of killing the tribe leaving one to kill the 9. Today Israeli Soldiers take an oath in remembrance of Masada. It is also a popular place for Bar Mitzvah's. How did the Zealots survive on top of a mountain for 3 years? An ingenious method of ancient engineering. Aqueducts were carved on the mountain sides to collect rain water from the mountains that were directed into carved cisterns. They also built a bath-house, food (Dried Fruits) and fuel storage (Olive oil). Infact, Masada was one of Herod's palaces.

My tour Operator Mr. Manashe reminded me of my uncle. I really liked him and told him he reminded me of my uncle at the end of the tour. Here he is feeding an Israeli (Tristram’s Grackle) bird by hand. The bird actually flies onto your hand and picks the food out your hand. On the topic of animals. I love the cats in Israel. They are so mellow. I find them so pleasant to look at and they like to pose for pictures. They're not well groomed but short-haired cats. Israeli's love their dogs you see them jogging and cycling with their pets everywhere. They even bring them into restaurants. At a Pizza Hut restaurant I spoke to a Israeli with her old blind dog. I asked about the cats. She mentioned that most of them are strays.

Aquaduct Model


Aquaduct


Cistern Reservoir


Mr. Manashe Feeding Bird


Masada


Israeli Cats

My favourite Felafel and Donair eatery is north of Gordon St along Dizengoff St. The donair meat just melts in your mouth.I love the lemonade as it goes down well on a hot day. My last night was spent walking the beach in Tel Aviv to Old Jaffa. I had stumbled across a large crowd of Israeli Jews, Arabs etc having a night out barbequing. I was amazed by the people barbequing 'kabobs'. It smelled so good. They use tiny BBQ (tray sized) Charcoal Briquettes. I wanted to go over and ask for some. The whole pathway along the beach smelled of Kabobs I ended up walking to Old Jaffa (old quarter) with all the castle like buildings. At one location it looked like an abandoned building but loud screeching sounds permeating from the inside. To my surprise looking through the door gate there were hundreds of bats clinging to the ceiling, flying back and forth.

BBQ Kebab


BBQ Kebab


Donair Eatery


Old Jaffa


Old Jaffa

Dead Sea


Dead Sea shore


Judean Desert Sea Level


The flight back was much more relaxed and security at Ben Gurion went much smoother. I found that Airport Security were very respectful and cordial unlike my maiden voyage from Canada. El Al Attendants were very much more relaxed and pleasant. They paid special attention to the children on the flight. Israeli's have a deep deep love for their children. It is apparent when you see them holding and hugging them. They are like little treasures that cling to their hearts. Perhaps it is because as a society they've experience suicide attacks, rocket attacks or fighting so many wars that make them dote their children so much. One thing i noticed about EL Al flights, credit to the pilots. The horizontal pitch at cruising altitude was very steady and comfortable.

As a land that is steeped with religious traditions. I felt a peace and tranquility in Israel. My daily prayers were for the Peace of Jerusalem. Protection for Israeli's (Arabs, Jews and Christians) from the front, back and sorround her with Yahweh's divine presence.

Israeli child


Israeli Mall


Ben Gurion Airport

No comments:

Post a Comment

_